Quick and easy to make in just 30 minutes, Stove Top Vegetable Lasagna is a one pot dinner that is hearty and comforting.
Stove Top Vegetable Lasagna is one of those recipes giving you a bit of a break on those busy days. A one pot easy dinner, which is ready to eat in 30 minutes, and is so delicious, it is amazing.
Full of veggies, like sweet bell pepper, red onion, and mushroom...this has become one of our favourite pasta dishes. Feel free to add any other veg that you prefer, like zucchini.
I used vegetarian sausage in place of the zucchini and it was an absolute hit. Everybody absolutely loved it. I probably need to get a bigger skillet just so that I can double this recipe.
Making the Stovetop Lasagna
It is really easy. The vegetables are cooked with seasoning and herbs until tender, which takes about 5 to 10 minutes. Then the uncooked lasagna sheets/ noodles are roughly broken up into large pieces and placed over the vegetables.
A jar of store-bought pasta sauce ( I love using the one with olives in it ) and a can of chopped tomatoes are poured over the lasagna sheets/noodles. Just make sure that all the sheets/noodles are well covered with the sauce to prevent it from drying out.
It is then covered and cooked on low to medium heat until the lasagna sheets/ noodles are softened, you can just poke around in the edge of the pan to check if it has softened.
It should be done in about 20 minutes.
Ricotta cheese is then gently stirred into the tomato layer. Just swirl it around the top layer, do not disturb or push around the lasagna sheets /noodles. Here is a great recipe for homemade ricotta cheese
Topped with fresh mozzarella, grated parmesan and sweet basil leaves, dinner is ready to be served?
I hope that you will fall in love with this delicious and easy twist on the classic lasagna dish as much as we have!!!
Stove Top Vegetable Lasagna
- 15 ml / 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 small yellow or red onion diced
- 1 small red bell pepper seeds removed and diced
- 1 small green pepper seeds removed and diced
- 4 cooked and sliced sausages of your choice I used vegetarian sausage
- 1 cup sliced fresh or frozen mushrooms
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon mixed dried herbs
- 8 /10 uncooked lasagna sheets/ noodles
- 1 x 400g jar pasta sauce
- 1 x 410g can diced tomatoes
- salt and black pepper to taste
- ½ cup ricotta / cottage or cream cheese
- fresh mozzarella thinly sliced ( optional)
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- In a large heavy based frying pan / skillet heat the oil.
- Add onion, pepper, cooked and sliced sausage, and mushrooms, and cook for 5-7 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add in the garlic, dried mixed herbs.
- Break the lasagna sheets / noodles into large pieces and place them over the cooked vegetables and sausage.
- Pour the pasta sauce and tomatoes over the sheets/noodles
- Ensure that all the lasagna sheets/ noodles are covered with the sauce.
- Season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Reduce heat to low/medium and cover the pan with a lid.
- Cook for 20 minutes or until lasagna sheets / noodles softened. You can just poke around the edge of the pan with a fork to check if it has softened and cooked through.
- Remove the lid and gently stir in the cream cheese. Just stir into the top tomato level. Do not disturb the lasagna sheets / noodles.
- Place mozarella ( if using )on the top and close the pan to allow the cheese to melt a bit. After about 2 minutes, remove the lid and garnish with parmesan and fresh basil.
- Remove from the stove and allow to set in the pan for about 10 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm.