My recipe for Hot Milk Vanilla Sponge Cake is the perfect classic bake. With a light tender texture, the cake is still sturdy enough for stacking or soaking up flavoring without breaking. Its versatility makes it a great base for other desserts and cakes.
Hot Milk Vanilla Sponge Cake
If you like easy bakes then this is a great one for you. Made with basic ingredients, it has all of the flavors with less of the fuss.
Whether it’s filled with fluffy whipped cream and scattered with fruit or plain and simple with a delicate dusting of powdered sugar, this sponge cake recipe is bound to impress.
Ingredients used in the recipe
This cake uses basic ingredients to create absolute deliciousness:
- Flour: Use cake flour or all-purpose
- Baking powder
- vanilla extract
This is a basic hot milk sponge recipe making it the perfect canvas for various flavorings, fillings, and toppings.
Here are a few ideas if you would like to give it a try:
- Bake it as cupcakes, a sheet, a square, or round, depending on how you’ll be using it later. Keep in mind that baking times will vary according to the shape and size of the cake.
- Create a decadent twist on this classic by decorating with shavings of rich dark chocolate, and a creamy buttercream filling.
- Add strawberries or blueberries to whipped cream and fill generously in between the sponge cake layers.
- Serve fresh from the oven with a sprinkling of powdered / icing sugar
- For a tangy twist, drizzle, with a delicious lemon or orange-flavored glaze.
Tips for the perfect Hot Milk Sponge
Making a hot milk sponge cake is really easy, but here are a few guidelines and tips that will ensure the perfect bake ALWAYS!
Measure out the ingredients correctly. This is the key to a soft and fluffy bake. Make a point of properly measuring out your ingredients before you start baking This will ensure the perfect textured cake.
Eggs aerate better when they are at room temperature and not ice-cold.
Grease the pans before mixing so that you can pour in the batter immediately after mixing. That would help get the cake mix into the oven quickly. After mixing you shouldn’t let the batter sit for more time than necessary. The more the mixture sits, the denser the cake would be.
Do not forget to preheat the oven to the correct temperature. You are going to want the mixture to start baking as soon as possible to avoid a dense bake.
Making the Hot Milk Vanilla Sponge
Grease and line a 9×11 inch ( 21x11cm) loaf tin with parchment/baking paper.
Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C)
Heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan. Heat just until the butter has melted.
With an electric mixer (hand-held or a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment), beat the eggs on high for 2 minutes. Gradually add in the sugar and vanilla extract. Beat until pale yellow and thickened.
Sift in the flour and baking powder. Fold roughly with a spatula, just to combine. Add in the heated butter and milk mixture.
Beat at low speed, just until the batter is combined and free of lumps.
Pour the batter into the prepared tin and bake at 320°F ( 160°C) for 25 to 30 minutes until a tester inserted into the center comes out clean.
Set the pan on a rack to cool. After the cake has cooled, remove the cake, and peel off the parchment paper.
Decorate as you prefer.
Still hungry for more?
Hot Milk Vanilla Sponge Cake
- ½ cup /125ml milk
- ⅓ cup / 70g butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup / 200g white granulated sugar
- 1 cup / 120g all-purpose or cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Grease and line a 9x11 inch ( 21x11cm) loaf tin with parchment/baking paper. SEE NOTE 1
- Preheat the oven to 320°F (160°C)
- Heat the milk and butter in a small saucepan. Heat just until the butter has melted.
- Beat at low speed, just until the batter is combined and free of lumps.
- Decorate as you prefer