Easy and quick to prepare Honey Mustard Roast Chicken with Potatoes and Onions make the perfect midweek dinner.
Pieces of chicken, potatoes, and onions marinated in a honey mustard mix and roasted for just 40 minutes creates a perfectly golden colour and irresistible deliciousness.
Honey Mustard Roast Chicken
Oh my goodness...the delicious smell of this roasting in the oven is sooooo good. The combination of honey and mustard is truly amazing.
I love so many things about this recipe but one of them is the versatility of this meal. Ingredients like mixed herbs and chili powder taste great when added, but is totally optional. Add ingredients like garlic and butternut pieces instead of potatoes if you like or flavour with sprigs of rosemary.
Perfect for when you don't have a few of the ingredients in your kitchen but can still turn this into a delicious dinner.
Prepared in ONE POT! ( emphasis on ONE POT because it makes life in the kitchen so easy...I love cooking and baking but not a fan of washing up)
Served with a salad and crusty bread, this has become one of our favorite dinner recipes.
How about serving with one of my easy bread recipes:
I use mixed chicken portions in this recipe because everybody has their favorite piece, but you can use portions you prefer.
Prepare ahead Dinner
This entire dish can be marinated in a mixture of honey mustard and spices the night before and kept in the fridge until you are ready to put it into the oven the next day. How convenient is that?
While in the oven, I cover the pan with a sheet of foil to prevent the chicken and vegetables from drying out.
Remove the foil about 15 minutes before the end of the cooking time to crisp the chicken and create a warm golden color.
Just a heads up... don't plan to take this for your lunch the next day, because one thing is for certain….there will be no leftovers 🙂
Honey Mustard Roast Chicken with Potatoes and Onions
- 8 pieces of chicken, mixed portions about ½ kg / 1 pound SEE NOTE 1
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 tablespoons dijon mustard SEE NOTE 2
- 2 tablespoons honey
- ½ teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder / dried chilli flakes optional
- 4 medium potatoes cut into quarters
- 1 medium onion, cut into quarters
- 1 teaspoon 5ml Olive /sunflower or canola oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F / 180° C
- Sprinkle chicken pieces, potatoes and onions with salt and pepper.
- Place in a deep ovenproof baking dish or heavy based pan such as cast iron.
- In a small bowl combine mustard, honey, oil, dried mixed herbs chilli powder / chilli flakes to form a paste. Spread over chicken pieces,potatoes and onion, covering them completely.
- Bake covered with foil for about 25 minutes.
- Remove foil and bake uncovered for a further 10 - 15, stirring potatoes once
- Roast until the chicken and potatoes are cooked
- Remove from oven and serve warm with a salad and crusty bread if preferred.
- I use mixed chicken portions in this recipe because everybody has their favorite piece, but you can use portions you prefer.
- If you do not have Dijon mustard, go ahead and use mustard sauce instead. It is a quick and easy substitute and tastes just as good.