Do you love butter chicken but not too thrilled with the calories that come with it? Then I have a great recipe for you with this Healthy and Light Butter Chicken. Still full of delicious flavor and creaminess, just without the added calories
My family are huge fans of butter chicken but if I had to cook it often, it will require heavy cream. Not a great option at all especially if it on the dinner table at least once a week.
Substituting the heavy cream with Greek or plain yogurt turned this dish into a much healthier and lighter version of the regular Butter chicken recipe, and they loved it.
This is an extremely simple recipe, taking just under an hour to cook, and did I mention it is a one pot meal, that's right, another plus for this dish.
This recipe uses skinless and boneless chicken breast fillets. It cooks faster and is easier to cut up into cubes. The spices like Garam masala and chilli powder can be found at Indian spice shops or in the spice section of your grocery store.
You can follow the amounts used in this recipe or add it to your taste especially when using the chilli powder. Canned tomatoes are blended until smooth because you really do not want chunks of tomato in this dish.
When you do add the yoghurt and chicken to the tomatoes, allow the yoghurt to reduce and thicken as it cooks.
This helps it develop more flavor and a delicious rich creamy taste. I usually cook this dish a few hours before serving allowing the chicken to absorb the flavor of the sauce.
Served with basmati rice or delicious yeast free garlic butter naan, this makes a great weekday dinner.
Healthy and light Butter Chicken
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- ½ teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 teaspoons chilli powder ( adjust to taste )
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 5 ml / 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 x 16-ounce can chopped tomato, drained see note 1
- 1 Tablespoon brown sugar
- salt to taste
- 1 pound chicken breast, cubed ( about 4 small chicken breasts)
- 1 cup Greek or plain unflavoured yogurt
- chopped coriander leaves to garnish
- Empty the can of chopped tomatoes into a blender and pulse / blend until smooth, about half a minute
- Heat the butter, add the onion and fry until tender.
- Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook briefly before adding the chilli powder, turmeric, cumin and garam masala
- Stir for a minute before adding the blended and smooth Tomato and brown sugar Season to taste, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add the yoghurt and allow to cook for about 2 minutes then add the chicken, covering it with the sauce. and simmer for a further 10 -15 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce slightly reduced and thickened.
- Reduce the heat to low when the chicken has cooked and allow to sit in the sauce for 10 more minutes to allow the flavours to be absorbed well into the chicken.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve with naan or basmati rice.
- Use one cup (200g) chopped fresh tomatoes as an alternative to canned tomatoes.
Try this recipe with the Yeast free Garlic Butter Naan.You will absolutely love it