Chocolate Witch Apples a no bake recipe, perfect for a Halloween treat. This is a great idea to get the kids involved in creating their own treats.
All you need are a few cones, melted chocolate and candy to decorate it with...oh and yes you are going apples to dip into the chocolate. As you can see in the finished pictures, the " witches hair ( licorice bootlaces) is quite thinned out. That is because I kept stuffing my face with the licorice and I ran out of 'hair'. One of the witches almost ended up with one eye... hey these candy coated chocolate are irresistable. You could use M&Ms or something similar.
The apples have to be peeled and well dried, otherwise the chocolate will not stick on properly. Then insert a wooden skewer into the apple. This will make it easier to roll and coat the apple in the chocolate. Stick on all the decoration while the chocolate is still slightly wet. You can go wild with ideas here. You know what I love about Halloween baking, is that nothing has to look perfect. You can have a baking disaster by baking a lopsided cake and pass it off as a perfect Halloween creation. This is one time that you don't have to care about perfection...in fact the uglier the better,
So have fun and have a great Halloween
Chocolate Witch Apples
- 4 small apples
- 250 g / 8oz chocolate
- 8 round candy coated chocolate such as Smarties or M&M's for the eyes
- licorice bootlaces for the hair
- ice cream cones
- Peel the apples and dry them well on absorbent paper towel
- Push a wooden skewer into the core of each one
- Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or on the stove top. Ensure that the bowl and spoon used to stir the chocolate is completely dry. ( SEE NOTE 1)
- Holding the apple by the skewer, dip it into the melted chocolate, coating it completely.
- Leave to drip for a few seconds and place two round candy coated chocolate onto each apple to make the witches eyes.
- Use a small piece of the licorice bootlace to make a smile and attach longer pieces at the top of the apple to create the hair
- Repeat with all the apples
- Use a little melted chocolate to help attach the cone to the top of the apple as a hat.
- Place the chocolate coated, decorated apples onto a baking sheet and allow to dry completely
MELTING CHOCOLATE IN THE MICROWAVE
Place the chocolate in a wide, shallow bowl and put it in the microwave. Heat it on medium high for about 1 minute to start with. Remove from the microwave and stir. Repeat heating at shorter intervals, 15 to 20 seconds, stirring in between, until the chocolate is completely melted and has a smooth consistency.
MELTING CHOCOLATE ON THE STOVE TOP
Heat a small pot with several inches of water.
Cover the top with a tightly fitting, heat-proof bowl. Make sure that the steam cannot escape. The surface of the water must not touch the bottom of the bowl at all.
Allow the chocolate to melt in the bowl, stirring it occasionally, until it is completely melted. Remove from the heat and stir until it reaches a smooth consistency