Cheese Mushroom and Egg Breakfast Pita makes the perfect weekend brunch or breakfast. Deliciousness made real easy with Homemade Pita, a spread of cream cheese, spicy mushrooms, a slice of melty cheese and topped with a crispy fried egg. So good right?
On Tuesday, I shared a recipe post on Easy Homemade Pita Bread. It is a simple recipe giving you a step by step method on how to make your own pita bread. It does use yeast in the recipe, but as I mentioned in the post, instant yeast really makes bread making so much simpler.
So if you would like to make your own pita for this recipe, the Cheese Mushroom and Egg Breakfast Pita, go ahead and check out the recipe here. Remember, the pita bread can be made up during the week and will remain soft at room temperature in a sealed container or up to a month in the freezer.
If you are unable to make the pita, then store-bought should work just fine.
Can you believe that you can have this breakfast on the table in just 15 minutes, it really makes the perfect weekend breakfast.
MAKING THE BREAKFAST PITA
Chopped mushrooms are fried in butter with onions, garlic, thyme and dried chilli flakes for just 5 minutes.
I do not like to overcook the mushrooms because I feel that they lose their flavour and becomes way too soggy. Add chilli flakes to your taste...my taste is almost the entire bottle
A little cream cheese is spread on the pita with a slice of cheese, any cheese you prefer.
I usually use cheddar. Layer with the cooked mushrooms and then top with a crispy fried egg. And seriously that is it! Ready for breakfast yet?
So put away your toasters and cereal bowls this weekend, bring the sunshine into your kitchen and enjoy a deliciously fancy looking breakfast which does not take a fancy long time to make.
Have a great weekend ☺
If you like this recipe, be sure to check out my other amazing BREAKFAST RECIPES
Still hungry for more?
Cheese Mushroom and Egg Breakfast Pita
- 1 Tablespoon / 14g butter
- 1 small red or white onion chopped
- 3 cups / 250g brown or white mushrooms sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 2 or 3 sprigs of fresh thyme or ¼ teaspoon dried thyme
- 4 Tablespoons / 72g cream cheese or cottage cheese
- crumbled feta optional
- 4 slices of cheese I used cheddar
- 4 fried eggs
- 4 baked pita breads SEE NOTE 1
- dried chilli flakes to your taste
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to your taste
- Garnish with lettuce and cherry tomatoes optional
- On medium heat,melt the butter in a pan. Add in the chopped onion, garlic, chilli flakes and thyme and cook until the onions are softened, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the mushrooms and cook for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Warm the pita bread either on a pan on the stove or in the microwave for a few seconds.
- Spread cream cheese and add a slice of cheese on the pita. Divide the cooked mushrooms into 4 equal portions and spoon the portions on each of the pita breads.
- Using another pan, fry the eggs to how you prefer, season to taste and top the mushrooms with the egg.
- Serve with lettuce and tomatoes and crumbled feta if you prefer.
- Recipe for homemade pita here: https://thegardeningfoodie.com/easy-homemade-pita-bread/