Yeast free, soft and super easy to make, this 3 Ingredient Spicy Garlic Flatbread is so versatile. A great accompaniment for curries, gravies or to use as a pizza base, a wrap or just on its own. This is my absolute favorite flatbread and my go to recipe for a quick and delicious stack of spicy garlic flatbreads.
Made with just 3 ingredients, self-raising flour, yoghurt and oil, this makes your basic flatbread. It tastes absolutely amazing made with these 3 ingredients and you can eat and serve it as is. So the spicy garlic butter is totally optional and takes it to a whole new level of deliciousness.?
MAKING THE FLATBREADS
No kneading and no yeast required these 3 ingredient spicy garlic flatbreads are really easy to make. The oil and yoghurt are simply mixed into the flour with a fork.
It is then turned out onto a lightly floured board and gathered together to form a soft dough.
Leave to rest for 10 minutes before rolling out. The reason for leaving the dough to rest is that when flour is mixed with any liquid, in this case the yoghurt, it takes a long time to absorb that liquid. As it rests it absorbs the liquid and gives the gluten a chance to connect. This creates a more stretchy dough which is easier to handle and roll out.
It is cooked on a pan for about 30 seconds on each side and brushed with the spicy garlic butter. Covering the cooked flatbreads with a clean kitchen towel helps keep in the warmth and keep them soft.
MAKING THE SPICY GARLIC BUTTER
Making the spicy garlic butter is just as easy and quick to prepare. A few cloves of crushed garlic and chilli flakes are mixed into melted butter. It is left to simmer on low heat on the stove for a few minutes. This helps the butter absorb all the delicious garlic and chilli flavour. It is then used to brush over the cooked flatbreads.
These flatbreads smell so good when being cooked that it is hard to resist eating them as they are made. Try these the next time you need a quick flatbread recipe and let me know if you could resist eating almost half the stack of this deliciousness as it cooks….I bet you can't ?
3 Ingredient Spicy Garlic Flatbread
- 1 ½ cups / 375ml plain yoghurt
- 2 Tablespoons / 30ml oil
- 2 ½ cups / 330 g self raising flour ( SEE NOTE 1 )
- 2 Tablespoons / ¼ stick /30 g butter or margarine
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
- ½ teaspoon dried chilli flakes
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and mix with a fork.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and gathered together to form a soft dough.Leave to rest for 10 minutes ( SEE NOTE 2 )
- Divide the dough into 10 to 12 pieces, then roll each out into a circle around
- Heat a pan over medium/high heat.
- Cook for 30 seconds on each side.When you will see little bubbles rise on the surface, flip the flatbreads over.
- You will see that the flatbreads puffs up slightly and it will get little brown spots as it cooks.
- Remove from the heat and brush both sides with the garlic butter. Cover with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel as you cook the rest of the flatbreads
- While the dough rests, make the garlic butter by melting butter with 2 cloves of crushed garlic. Add chilli flakes
- Simmer on low heat until the butter is melted and remove from the heat.
- If you do not have self raising flour, then substitute it by adding 2 teaspoons of baking powder to all purpose or cake flour.
- The reason for leaving the dough to rest is that when flour is mixed with any liquid, in this case the yoghurt, it takes a long time to absorb that liquid. As it rests it absorbs the liquid and gives the gluten a chance to connect. This creates a more stretchy dough which is easier to handle and roll out.